PRAYING FOR PERSECUTED CHRISTIANS
In many countries, Christians are harassed, discriminated against, slandered, unjustly accused, summarily arrested and sometimes imprisoned, beaten, exiled or killed. The violence comes both from governments and religious extremists. Your prayers can focus on four groups.
Individuals – Pray that they:
- remain strong in faith and trust despite physical and psychological abuse
- will be able to forgive those who persecute them or who fail to support them
- will experience and know love, joy and peace from God (Romans 8:28-39)
- will walk humbly in their identification with Christ’s sufferings
- will be fruitful witnesses to others
- will be able to balance standing up for their rights, yet responding in grace and love
Spouses – Pray that they:
- cope with the sense of loss and isolation
- cope with caring and providing for children alone
- remain full of faith and hope
- overcome any intimidation from police or other aggressors
Children – Pray that they:
- are protected from long term psychological/emotional harm and bitterness
- are protected from abduction or the “corrective teaching” some States try to impose
- might know and experience the love of God
Converts – Pray that they:
- receive help to grow spiritually
- are protected and provided for should their family or community turn against them
- will have the courage to lead others to know Christ
Almighty God, who has taught us through your Son Jesus Christ that those who follow Him may be persecuted; strengthen, comfort and encourage all those who suffer harassment, violence, imprisonment and even death for being followers of Jesus. We pray for those who persecute your people; may their hearts be turned towards you through the faithful witness of those they persecute. Protect members of the families and church communities of those who are persecuted and bless the work and ministry of Release International and its partners as we support those who are suffering and seek to be a voice of persecuted Christians.
Join me in praying for the areas every morning at 9 am or for regular monthly prayers for the persecuted church to pray for countries from the World Watch List.